Thursday, June 19, 2008

No more teacher's dirty looks: a eulogy


Chewed the rag with a fellow educator, lamenting the 40% increase Xcel has tacked on to its Denver customers. In the middle of this bitter-laced banter, my colleague informs me of her new technique to save money: walk everywhere. She proceeds to expound on her daily routine of walking - yes, walking - the 3.4 miles to her local gym, walking home, having lunch, reading (a feat in of itself for any educator), and walking the 1 mile to her friend's - who is on vacation - house to water the plants. I thought she was being a little overzealous in her battle against oil, but then she explains how she can't wait until October when her car will be paid off and she can start paying off her furnace. We made some kind of joke to sweeten the anger and fear of our economic situations. She said something we both laughed a little too hard at: "I just need to find a rich husband." We laughed because we knew the unspoken, somber ending of that sentence: "...so that I can keep teaching."

When did educators fall into poverty levels? Our union fought with sharp teeth this year, and although we got to keep our health insurance (which only covers us btw, not any spouse or children), we received less than a 4% raise. When Xcel energy is gearing up for battle by 40%, and I can only afford one bag of apples a month, 4% will not cover much.

As my friend and I continued on our conversation, we both talked about other people, in other industries who are able to ride out this dep...er...recession, our sad reality comes into focus: we may have to leave teaching because we cannot afford to stay. That reality depresses me greatly. We are good teachers who, if nothing changes, will be forced out of the classroom and into corporate America. I heard a rumor that for a family of for to be completely self-sufficiant (no government aid) in Colorado, the annual household income had to be above $60,000. What does that mean for my rambling buddy? What does that mean for me and my husband?

I fear I must dust off my resume.




(thanks to Chylinski Marcin for the pic of the pencils)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home